History Meets Modern Drinkery
As Toronto celebrated its 180th birthday this week, Community helped celebrate the birth of a new downtown venue.
D.W. Alexander, formerly known as The Foundation Room, opened its doors at 19 Church Street in the heart of St. Lawrence Market and Old Town Toronto to a private gathering of media and VIPs brought together by Faulhaber Communications. Toronto’s newest premium drinkery comes courtesy of owner Jamil Kamal, a hospitality veteran with 20 years in the business. D.W. Alexander pays homage to the venue’s history – the name is inspired by the building’s original tenant, D.W. Alexander, the largest sole-leather trader in Western Canada who launched his leather business back in 1872.
These historical roots are woven into the branding – created by Community Agency – from signage to menus, website to social media. Don’t go looking for that ancient relic of bottle service here. D.W. Alexander is high class, old school, where drinkery is the name and cocktails are the game.
Guests can expect a custom cocktail selection created by mixologist Aaron Beaudouin, who has previously consulted for Toronto hot spots such as Rock Lobster, Goods & Provisions, e11even Restaurant and L’Unita. Thursday night’s media preview featured three – the Old Fascist (a take on an Old Fashioned), the Avro Arrow and the Sloe Gin Fizz.
D.W. Alexander will also offer a fresh update on the typical bar snack menu using all local Canadian-made ingredients, created by Sean Simons, Executive Chef, Goods & Provisions. The stylish, old-meets-new interior comes from Design Agency co-founder Allen Chan.
The pre-opening brought out some familiar faces, but we hope to see yours when it opens to the public March 14th.
Photos by Stefania Yarhi